Birding Trip to Beluga Slough: 9-9-17

Bird sightings and reports from around the Kachemak Bay area in Alaska
lani

Birding Trip to Beluga Slough: 9-9-17

Postby lani » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Kachemak Bay Birders enjoyed a great day of birding along Beluga Slough and scoping out over the inlet on Saturday.  We had a variety of weather during our three hours there, but overall not too many sprinkles nor too chilly. (What's a little weather when there are birds to be seen?) 

One unexpected sighting was a DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT that flew over showing us the crook in his neck. There was also a perplexing gull at the outlet that had us thinking maybe a Thayer's for a while, but after reviewing some photos taken, turned out to be apparently a juv. MEW GULL. Some of us saw what seemed to be a PACIFIC LOON, but this was not substantiated...he was quite a ways out there. We enjoyed seeing a BELTED KINGFISHER and some AMERICAN PIPITS and SAVANNAH SPARROWS in the Slough area. 

A big thanks to Jim Herbert for being our leader.  Several visiting birders from other states and countries joined us which is always fun, besides birding, to talk with them about their home birds and birding areas too.

The species that we saw or heard:
COMMON LOON
PACIFIC LOON (unsubstantiated)
RED-NECKED GREBE
PELAGIC CORMORANT
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT (flying)
HARLEQUIN DUCK
BLACK SCOTER
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER
SURF SCOTER
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL
MEW GULL
(Hybrid) HERRING GULL
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE
MARBLED MURRELET
COMMON MURRE
LESSER SANDHILL CRANE
BALD EAGLE
ROCK PIGEONS
BELTED KINGFISHER
NORTHWESTERN CROW
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE
AMERICAN PIPIT
SAVANNAH SPARROW

For more information about our group or to check recent sightings and events, go to kachemakbaybirders.org.

P.S.
As a footnote, if you will, I wanted to share Michelle Michaud's blog address with everyone which I forgot to do before.  She and a friend are in Australia for a couple months and have found some great birds already.  I think the kookaburra is, if not laughing, at least smiling!  

Check out her wonderful blog   http://alaskabirder.com/

Return to “Kachemak Bay area bird sightings”