ICELAND and THAYERS GULLS

Bird sightings and reports from around the Kachemak Bay area in Alaska
sealion

ICELAND and THAYERS GULLS

Postby sealion » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 pm

This week, starting Feb. 19, the city of Homer is pumping out fish waste effluent by the Ferry Dock at Land's End. There are sometimes more than 2000 gulls in attendance, as well as 200+ LONG-TAIL DUCKS, many MERGANSERS, C. GOLDENEYES, a few Alcids and others. Also a HUMPBACK WHALE and a pod of STELLER'S SEA LIONS (9 or so). It's been a busy place!

I was fortunate to be able to accompany Dave Sonneborn on Mon., Tues, and Wed. of this week. We found several rarities amongst the gulls; 2 THAYER'S GULLS and 2 ICELAND GULLS. Both THAYER'S were 1st year birds and one ICELAND was an adult and one was a first year. I am posting photos of three of them.

Bird on!
Gary Lyon
Attachments
Thayers, 1st year b, 2.21.jpg
First year THAYER'S. Note for comparison the size, bill and head shape with the Glaucous-wing Gull
Iceland, adult 2.22.jpg
Adult ICELAND. Note again the differences with the accompanying Glaucous-wing Gull, notably the whitish primaries.
Iceland 1st year, 2.22.jpg
First year ICELAND. This may be a hybrid?

sealion

Re: ICELAND and THAYERS GULLS

Postby sealion » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:16 am

The big flock continues at Land's End/Ferry Dock. Yesterday, Feb. 26, I found a cooperative 1st year Thayer's Gull right along the water's edge. It was by itself for a while and I was able to get some close-up photos.

Bird on!
Gary
Attachments
Thayer's w GWGU 2.jpg
1st Year Thayer's with Glaucous-wing Gull for comparison
Thayer's 2.jpg
1st Year Thayer's Gull showing the orderly checked feather pattern.

sealion

Re: ICELAND and THAYERS GULLS

Postby sealion » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Here is another gull from the Ferry Dock area at Land's End. Found on March 7 at 3:00pm. It is an adult GLAUCOUS GULL. The other gull is a transitional MEW gull for size comparison. GLAUCOUS is our biggest!!! It's looks downright huge!

Bird on!
Gary
DSCN5602.jpg
Alongside a MEW gull.
DSCN5605.jpg

Return to “Kachemak Bay area bird sightings”