Birding Trip on the Spit: 3-25-17

Bird sightings and reports from around the Kachemak Bay area in Alaska
lani

Birding Trip on the Spit: 3-25-17

Postby lani » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Many binocular-wearing, bundled-up birders met at the base of the spit to go birding this afternoon. A bright, sunshiny day with not too much wind, or so we thought from that vantage point anyway. Because the Winter King Tournament had been postponed to today, there were many people out on the spit and a zillion parked cars belonging to those out fishing. Seemed just like summer, except for the cold and ice of course.

It was A Great Day to Bird! Scoping first to the west mid-spit, we were happy to find both STELLER’S and COMMON EIDERS, a couple GLAUCOUS GULLS plus others. At Land’s End a few BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES were flying around, so beautiful in the sunshine, mountains in the background. Gorgeous! In the Harbor just below the big tanks on the east side, we saw over 1000 ROCK SANDPIPERS bathing and sunning and resting in spite of continual boats coming in and out, mostly in. (As a bonus, we shorebird monitors got our first shot at estimating shorebird numbers.)

By my count, we found 27 species.
COMMON LOON
HORNED GREBE
RED-NECKED GREBE
PELAGIC CORMORANT
MALLARD (flyover)
BUFFLEHEAD
BLACK SCOTER
SURF SCOTER
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER
COMMON GOLDENEYE
GREATER SCAUP
LONG-TAILED DUCK
COMMON EIDER
STELLER’S EIDER
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER
GLAUCOUS GULL
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL
MEW GULL
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE
HERRING GULL
COMMON MURRE
PIGEON GUILLEMOT
MARBLED MURRELET
ROCK SANDPIPER
BALD EAGLE
ROCK PIGEON
NORTHWESTERN CROW

If I missed any, please let me know? We looked hard for Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches, Snow Buntings, a Song Sparrow and the unidentified owl seen out there last week.

A big thank you to Michael Craig, our leader for such a grand trip: finding all those birds, helping new birders, and keeping us safe on the ice and in the traffic. Some of us were speculating about our next trip to Beluga Slough in a month—will the ice be gone by then?
IMG_2660.JPG
Birrrrders at Land's End!

Return to “Kachemak Bay area bird sightings”