Hodgepodge of Birds and One Coyote

Bird sightings and reports from around the Kachemak Bay area in Alaska
lani

Hodgepodge of Birds and One Coyote

Postby lani » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 pm

Wednesday someone thought they saw a low flying pair of swans near the airport so today I went looking for them. No success, but did find the following in Beluga Slough: COMMON MERGANSERS, BUFFLEHEAD, AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARDS, NORTHWESTERN CROWS, BALD EAGLE, MEW GULLS, BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, SONG SPARROW.

Report of singing VARIED THRUSH on Early Spring St. near Rochelle yesterday. SONG SPARROWS singing here and there also.

BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE and Coyote story:
This morning I witnessed a most amazing scene. First, a coyote was hunting in the hay field in front of the house and came within 10 feet of my window! There were two magpies harassing him during this time. Then a ways out he got a big mouse, I could even see its tail, and for some reason he put it up on the snow (dead of course) and turned his back continuing to hunt. One of the magpies swooped in and carried off the mouse!! The coyote seemed unaware it was happening, far enough away to be helpless to stop it even if he'd noticed. Couldn't believe my eyes! If only I'd gotten a video. He wasn't a very wily coyote today. Wondering if he had pups to feed already? Otherwise why would he not just eat the mouse? I did see him eat two little critters, probably very small shrews, a couple chomps and down they went.

Return to “Kachemak Bay area bird sightings”