"RED" Finch on the Spit

Bird sightings and reports from around the Kachemak Bay area in Alaska
sealion

"RED" Finch on the Spit

Postby sealion » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 pm

I was looking for shorebirds on Saturday, July 15 at around 4:00 PM. I was at the east-facing gravel beach where Louie's Lagoon meets the tall grassy berm, a gambrel roofed derelict charter building is there. I saw a very red finch flitting around the upper beach. It stopped and perched on a protruding log end, out of the sun. I got good but distant binocular looks at it. My first thought was REDPOLL, but it was redder than any Redpoll, and it had no black on the face/forehead. The back was streaked. I was fumbling for my cell phone and it took off. It flew around that derelict building and I could not re-find it. I went back today, Sunday July 16 and did not re-find it. However today there was a HERMIT THRUSH on the beach there, odd!

My best guess is this bird was a male HOUSE FINCH. Maybe somebody else will see it. I have previously seen REDPOLLS on the Spit, but in winter.

In addition I saw;

28) WESTERN SANDPIPERS
7) LEAST SANDPIPERS
30) SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS

Bird on!
Gary Lyon

DaveErikson

Re: "RED" Finch on the Spit

Postby DaveErikson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

I saw a similar bird two days ago along the trail along Beluga Slough. It appeared to be a redpoll, but was very "red". I didn't get a good look at the head so I could tell if it had a black chin. It might be worth checking out.

Dave

Return to “Kachemak Bay area bird sightings”